What is Self-Confidence?
Self-confidence is the general attitude that we have about our unique skills and abilities. Having it means that we fully accept ourselves and trust in the sense and amount of control we experience in life.
It means that we have an awareness of both our strengths and our weakness. It allows one to set realistic expectations and goals, communicate assertively and can handle criticism.
Teacher and speaker Joseph Rodrigues explains that genuine confidence is one of our greatest personal assets: “One of the most important things we can have in life is a strong belief [and faith] in ourselves.” The amount of belief we have within is directly proportional to our potential for excellence.
Self-Confidence impacts who we become (or fail to become)
Every single one of us has not only the ability (but also the opportunity) to create whatever it is we want in life. The only limiting factor that prevents us from getting these things is a lack of faith in ourselves!
And without this faith in ourselves, we won’t be able to see our present situation and circumstances as a source of opportunity. Instead, we’ll encounter scenarios defined by lack and limitation.
So how can we correct our beliefs and instead get on the path towards improved self-assurance?
Rodrigues suggests studying and implementing author Napoleon Hill’s Confidence Formula, which has been used for decades by millions of people worldwide to improve personal confidence.
When we use this powerful technique to build confidence and get more of what we want, it will help to create a life that exponentially improves as the potential for developing deeper confidence throughout our lifetimes becomes infinitely limitless. Imagine the kind of person we could become upon reaching our leisurely golden years.
How it works:
The Confidence Formula
Adapted from Napoleon Hill – The Law of Success
Commit to building confidence by implementing these elements:
- CREATE a strong belief system around the ability to achieve your biggest goals, including your ultimate purpose in life. When we feel certain about our potential, we’re more likely to hold ourselves to higher standards. Demand persistent action towards the attainment of all that you’d like to achieve.
- THE DOMINATING thoughts of your mind will eventually reproduce, moving in an outbound direction, gradually transforming themselves into physical reality. Concentrate on these thoughts for 30 minutes daily (consider meditation), clearly thinking of the person that you intend to become. This creates a clear mental picture in the mind, allowing you to visualize your wish fulfilled.
- CONSIDER integrating autosuggestion into your daily life, which is the act of intentionally consuming information over and over again. This affects the subconscious mind and alters the way we navigate reality. Any thoughts and desires that we persistently hold in our minds will eventually seek expression through some seemingly normal event or situation.
- CLEARLY ESTABLISH, write down, or design a description (by journaling, creating a vision board) of your definite chief aim. Continue visualizing it and feeling its vibration to get in alignment with what we want. If you possess the strength to persevere, you’ll develop more-than-sufficient self-confidence and eventually get what you designed.
- REMIND yourself that no wealth or position can long endure unless built upon truth and justice. Don’t engage in transactions that will not benefit all whom it affects. Succeed in attracting the forces that you wish to use and the cooperation of other people. Inspire assistance through personal service to others. Eliminate hatred of all kinds: envy, jealousy, selfishness, and cynicism, as we cannot grow in its presence. Inspire others to believe in you because you will believe in them and in yourself.
Start small when building self confidence
Increasing self-confidence is the KEY to getting more of what we want in life. And if these concepts are feeling a little too far off for you even to consider implementing them into your life, don’t worry! Start small and build. Self-Confidence is easily created when we experience absolute certainty by following through on the words, plans, and ideas that we promise ourselves to accomplish.
- HONESTY. Being ‘hyper honest’ with yourself is level one. It’s the most basic interpretation of self-confidence because the opinion of yourself is something you actually have total control over. For example, when you’re getting to know someone new and realize you have trouble being transparent about yourself, you’re likely hiding something you’re not proud of. It’s time to accept or reject this part of yourself, and at the very least, you can begin building confidence in your communications.
- DO NOT IGNORE MOVEMENT. For whatever reason, it’s too easy, comfortable, and convenient to NOT exercise. But the American Psychological Association reminds us that movement can be a huge boost to your self-confidence. Again, it not only helps with generalized mood disorders, such as depression and anxiety but with regularly scheduled sessions, you can start to feel better within just a few short weeks.
- GET COMFY WITH BEING UNCOMFY. Confidence allows us to tolerate being comfortable in a multitude of scenarios, and in particular, those that would make the average person cringe. By choosing to regularly move past your comfort zone, you’ll expand, take more chances, and automatically improve your opinion of yourself.
Recommended for you:
Joe Dispenza – “Learn the Science of Changing your Mind”
Get this FREE GUIDE to learn about his TOP RESOURCES you can start using NOW!
Explore the latest in neuroscience tools for growth-mindset brain hacks
What exactly is a brain hack? Some explain it as a “strategic technique centered around universal human biology, with the goal of altering functions such as perception, focus, or awareness.” Read on to learn what the experts (like Dr. Andrew Huberman of Huberman Lab podcast) are sharing.
GrowthLenses Roots are short features created to inform readers about some of the latest concepts and tools that inspire personal growth.
GrowthLenses MindSet articles were created to educate and inspire readers, featuring our favorite thought leaders, authors, and resources.